Let’s face it. There are a lot of us out there: creatives trying to become a successful freelance designer.
Freelance designing is wonderful but the market is so saturated that we often lack what we need to become successful.
Below you will find 10 tips on becoming a successful freelance designer.
1. Brand yourself. Nearly any company or organization falls apart without an established style. Without a impressive personalized logo you will simply fade into the background where literally thousands of freelance designers wander.
Becoming a successful freelance designer means becoming a successful, memorable, quality brand.
2. Create an effective online portfolio. It is nearly impossible to become a successful freelance designer without having an impressive online presence. Any potential clients or employers will want to see your work and most of them will prefer to type in a URL and click on what they want to see.
Take some time to create an effective online portfolio or you can kiss your chances of becoming a successful freelance designer goodbye.
3. Create an equally effective print portfolio, business cards, resume, etc. This is somewhat a combination of the previous two steps. Be sure to create an impressive tangible portfolio that you can give to those who want to see your work “in person”. If you’re a print designer, that is.
Also use your branding and identity to create business cards, stationery, etc. Any time you can slap your personal logo on something, do it.
4. Be brave, bold, and professional. Don’t be afraid to call people, offer services, email businesses and more. Recently, I was printing a job for a client and at the printing shop, a man complimented me on the design of the piece.
After engaging in friendly conversation, he asked me for some tips on the piece he was printing for his own business. Although I was short on time, I was happy to help him and when I got ready to leave, I offered my future services and handed him a card.
Becoming a successful freelance designer means having confidence that people will appreciate your skills.
5. Go the extra mile for your customers. Word of mouth is the most important tool you have. Nothing can help you or hurt you more than rumors and compliments spread by those for whom you have done work before.See also: